Local SEO for Your Vacation Rental, Hotel, or Resort
If you’ve been in the travel or accommodations industry for any length of time, I’m sure you’ve heard about the phrase local search engine optimization (SEO). And someone has probably told you that local SEO is an important part of your digital marketing efforts for your business. But, perhaps you’re not quite sure why it’s so great for your vacation rental, hotel, or resort business. We’ve decided to put together a basic guide so you can understand more about the benefits of local SEO and how to implement these techniques for your travel or accommodations related business.
What’s Covered on this Page?
Why SEO is so Important
What are the Different Types of SEO Strategies and Which Method is Best?
Although SEO can be great for your business when done properly, there are some SEO practices that can be potentially harmful to your website. SEO is a pretty broad term and there are many facets of SEO, so let’s go over the different types.
Organic SEO vs Local SEO Marketing and Why Both are Important
The two main different types of SEO are organic SEO and local SEO.
Organic SEO is an important strategy because while all searches will have an element of organic SEO, not all of them will have an element of local SEO. Through the process of organic search engine optimization, websites show up in regular search results as opposed to paid search results (those results at the top of the page that indicate they’re advertisements). As we noted above, most search users skip over the paid ads and focus on organic search results. Mainly, they’ll pay attention to the first four search results. Because these top results get the most clicks, it is essential that your site is optimized to show up when customers search for keywords related to your travel or accommodation business. The more prominent your business is in search results, the higher your click-through-rates will be.
Local SEO is especially important for travel or accommodation related businesses such as vacation rentals, property managers, hotels, and resort businesses. Local SEO, which is sometimes referred to as local search marketing, is so important because the results come faster than traditional SEO and have a huge conversion rate. So what exactly is local SEO? It’s basically getting your business ranked in Google maps for local related search terms. Take a look at the illustration below. As you can see, we chose the phrase ‘vacation rentals vail.’ Do you see the map listed below? Do you think the businesses listed in these maps are getting more customers because of it? Of course they are. That’s really one of the main ways in which local SEO helps your travel business
So now that you have a good understanding of SEO, you may be wondering what type we offer and how our approach is better than other search marketing companies. Those are great questions! Since the internet is essentially a popularity contest, we help you make more friends online. Although we can give you advice on what you need to do to optimize your on-page factors, we mainly focus on white hat link building strategies to get more quality websites to talk about your travel business. When more quality websites are talking about you, you will see a boost in your organic rankings.
The Three Factors of Search Engine Optimization
There are essentially three different factors that need to be optimized when doing SEO. These three factors are on-page optimization, off-page optimization, and social signals.
- On-Page Optimization – On-page optimization is when you focus on building quality content on your website that is targeted toward certain keywords and setting up the page structure in a way that Google likes and can easily understand.
- Off-Page Optimization – This is simply building your brand’s authority throughout the web and getting quality sites to link back to your site. Remember, ranking high in Google is pretty much a popularity contest. So the more high quality websites within your industry that are talking about you, the better.
- Social Signals – This is another trust factor. Think of this as having a presence on social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and getting users to engage on your social profiles.
FAQs of Local SEO
How Long Does SEO Take?
Although, SEO is certainly not an overnight process you can expect to see additional traffic to your website in the very first month. Since we build links on relevant sites that already have a following, that traffic will start clicking to your website pretty quickly. Typically with traditional SEO, we see this taking 4-12 months to start dominating Google depending on how competitive your industry is. Local SEO, however, can be much quicker and you can start seeing results as early as a month or two.
What is SEO and Why is it Good for my Travel or Accommodation Business?
SEO stands for search engine optimization. I know it may sound complicated, but all this means is that SEO helps you get found on search engines like Google. When someone goes to Google and types in a certain phrase such as “Your City Vacation Rental,” your website will come up on the first page of google with a little help from SEO.
What Happens When You Sign up as Our SEO Client?
We pride ourselves on being one of the best white hat SEO companies in the travel industry and we’ve worked extremely hard to be able to say that. Our unique approach and in-house systems make this the best local search engine optimization service for your money. We pride ourselves on transparency and want you to be in the loop every step of the way. Our clients get a full report on the projects we’ve completed for them each month. Since we are only looking for long-term clients, we work with one client per location and industry. We’ve found that this way, our clients are not competitors and we can focus on each client’s goals and success.
We wanted to give you an idea of exactly what to expect when you get started with our SEO services. Take a moment to read all the information below on our exact process so you can get started with our services.
Getting Started with VR Marketer’s SEO Services:
- Fill Out Our Getting Started Form to provide us with your information so we can make sure you’re a good candidate for our Local SEO Program. Click Here to Get Started.
- If You are the Right Candidate, we will reach out to you with your custom local SEO strategy. We will both sign a letter of understanding, address payment for services, and we’ll get to work.
- You Fill Out our Customer Onboarding form to provide us with more information, login info, etc. (You know your business better than anyone, so the more information you give us here the better.)
Now the Fun Begins:
- Create a Branded Email Account and Gmail Account – The first thing we need to do to make our link outreach effective is to set up an email using the persona of the business owner. That’s right – we’ll be reaching out on your behalf. We’ve found this is the most effective strategy to improve your local online presence.
- Gain Access to Analytics – This is important. We will have you give us access to your Google Analytics account so we can learn more about your website, and the best way for us to approach our strategy.
- Access Search Console – You will need to set us up in Search Console so we can learn even more about your online presence. We will get an idea of the best content on your site, which may even help us to give recommendations on tweaking a few things so your business can have some quick wins.
- We Start Optimizing – With all this information in hand, we’ll be able to identify your site’s strengths and weaknesses as it relates to your local presence. We’ll get to work on optimizing your website for local search. We’ll also get you set up with a custom project tracker so you can see exactly what we’re working on.
Check Your Anchor Text
We will check your anchor text to make sure your anchor text ratio is healthy. We use tools such as Majestic, SEM Rush, and Ahrefs to verify your ratios are on par and not hurting your website’s performance. If we find anything that is unbalanced in this phase, this is the first thing we’ll want to fix.
On the right, you’ll see an example of what natural anchor text looks like. (We have no affiliation with this company.)
Onsite Content Audit
Here is where we’ll take a look at the current content on your site.
Link Audit Research
- We will do a complete audit of all your links coming in to make sure your website is clean and there are no spammy links.
- Check for over-optimization and Anchor Text
- Check Website Metrics, TF, CF, DA, PA, and DR to make sure everything is relevant and there aren’t any links that aren’t being used to their full potential.